Studio One, Week Seven

After week 6,  I have started modelling and continue to study up on texturing and plan how our specific project will be textured.  I am also receiving help with my modelling to improve efficiency. I am thankful for this as I know I will be able to concentrate on texturing. the models i now am in charge off are mostly modelled but need refinement and tidying. I have received tips and help with ensuring my models are ngon free. I have learnt that when creating quads and tris to remove ngons it’s always best to use the vertices which already exist. Part way through modelling I have realised that it is best not to attach elements, and so when modelling my hatch I have used the pro-boolean tool to combine the base of the hinge with the main body of the hatch. The pro-boolean tool proves quite useful as using the union option, extra edges are created instead of having an object which is simply pushed into another as you would have with the attach tool. I have also played around with other setting within pro-Boolean such as subtract. I have noticed that the topology is not ideal but it is a quick method to achieve desired shapes.

Problem solving within 3ds max in the past few weeks has proven tedious however I have had moments that I am pleased with ideas that are simple but help efficiency. A perfect example is modelling one of my assets, a curved  table for placing monitors. The table is butted against the curved wall in our biosphere space and to ensure the length and curvature to be correct for a snug and correct fit  have modelled from a copy of the wall. Copying and scaling, I then modelled knowing the back fits our space.

In terms of texturing i have been putting into practice the decisions made regarding such practicalities as the texel density which we will use. Looking into the matter, this is something which varies from project to project, with no real one standard. It seems sensible to start with a density higher to anything we will reasonably use, which we can export and reduce later as needed. Considering what we are aiming to accomplish I am starting our textures at 2048 x 2048. At this stage I have been experimenting with various base textures, mostly for architectural surfaces. Our generic base concrete texture has been made seamless, and has been redone from scratch as the first version did not fit within the style we are aiming for. Now that I am satisfied I have been brushing up on how to create the other maps needed for texturing beyond the diffuse. Playing around with levels I have tweaked the concrete texture to a point I am happy with and have moved on, several textures are currently being adjusted (base textures and decals).

caution-sticker-v1
(wyld,2016). Caution sticker decal.
concrete-v1
(wyld,2016). Concrete base texture Version 2.
concrete-v2
(Wyld,2016). Concrete base texture version 2.
metal-v1
(Wyld,2016). Metal and warning strip version 1.

 

 

References

Wyld, A.(2016). Exo (working title). Caution sticker decal.

Wyld, A.(2016). Exo (working title). Concrete base texture version 1.

Wyld, A.(2016). Exo (working title). Concrete base texture version 2.

Wyld, A.(2016). Exo (working title). Metal and warning strip version 1 .

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s